Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Original Fake


How’s your week?, RIT asked. Empty, I said. It’s nice to have an empty scheduled week sometimes but it's surprised me at the same time that nothing comes this week. I am free.

Can I go with you? So I went with RIT and PNI to Mangga Dua today. Mangga Dua is a wholesale market in Chinatown. I heard it’s the biggest complex of such in South East Asia. It's a complex of huge malls selling lots of stuff from many regions. It’s more fashion than anything else.

I hardly went because I’m not in fashion industry and I don’t make effort to get my fashion need. I heard many foreigners are familiar with the place especially with shops selling ‘original fake’ branded handbags. Original fake? That’s how they call. It’s a fake but it’s really good quality that looks like original. Hm.

PNI is the expert. She knows where to go. I liked the busy feeling once we entered the mall. People were selling things that left no empty space. They shouted and thrust their goods so we could touch. I enjoyed any item available on the way. Before ten minutes, I had stopped to buy mix juice and rubber toys.

The handbag shops were amazing. I could not believe my eyes seeing piles of ‘expensive’ handbags without cover, thrown just like that.. When I looked closely, the ladies were right, those have good quality. The leather, the vinyl, the fabric, the embellishment,.. Yes, it’s original fake. Learned the price, I flew to heaven. The price was 1/10 even 1/20 (for more exclusive brand). Oops..

What a business.. Many many ladies hung around the counter trying handbags and bargaining. The alley was narrow that I had to let my body being ‘beaten’ by bigger bodies and bags. My two buddies were in buying spree especially PNI. She knew what she wanted, made quick decision, and went onto next. So efficient. RIT took longer to decide but she made a good choice today. She took two handbags I chose for her which were ‘not her’. RIT is a conventional lady; it’s not easy to make her trying other style. So I’m happy to see her happy with 'her' own choice today.

There’s something wrong with me that I don’t have heart to buy fake. I just could not. There’s one handbag, very good leather, very me in style,.. but later I learned it’s Hermes. It’s not popular (not many wearing the brand) but.. Oh dear, I kept thinking of the handbag, even later when we’re back to pick up stuffs I still considered. I tried to picture myself with fake handbag walking in public. No no no.. I could not. I feel like stealing someone’s idea. Not material thing but still stealing.

Why can’t people come up with original ideas? Or, the industry has entertained people who really care about famous brand? I didn’t give up. The bags were so inviting so I looked for a shop selling similar model but no brand, no label, no embellishment, and has good quality. None. Of course.

Our lunch was super. It’s an eating place like warung. It’s very busy so must be good! It was, the food was good. It’s a strange specialty; gado-gado (veggie with peanut sauce) and thom yam. Both were really good. What a combination.. RIT and PNI ended up bloating of too much eating till they could not stand hearing someone mentioning food ha ha..

We ended five hours shopping with lots of shopping bags. I bought sleeping wear for my girls and nice doll for Yuli’s girl (shown in picture). I also have rubber toys for myself and staffs’ kids -- it's a kid's toy :-) And.. three bras at $ 5. All are original though..