Excess Thought

I thought How Jakarta Works study group were going to visit a ‘real’ kampong this week. But two weeks ago, Chris the organizer sent out a short description about the XS Project (please click the green hyperlink for further info). I was so excited. It was going to be as interesting as kampong visit because Ann Wizer – the artist and the founder – would be present and talking to us. She only comes every six weeks from her present home in Manila. We were lucky to have her today.
I was the last person to enter the Project house. I trusted Agus to check the map and he made mistake. I had to call Chris’ driver several times to get the address. I was panting from running down the small alley to get the house. Ann had started the presentation when I got there.
Ann has worked in the project in Jakarta more than five years now. She recycles plastic ex 'flexy-refill-container' into things such as tote bag, trash bin, pencil case, cosmetic bag, lunch box, and now she develops computer sleeve and bag. She works with a lot of trash pickers who select trash she needs, washing/cleaning team, and sewers who work in 'office' and their home. The profit from the business is given back to the community for welfare such as providing clean water.
She has gone through ups and downs in running the business because her idea is ‘risky’ and sensitive although it helps cleaning the environment. And more challenge after many Yayasan (social organization) copy the idea to use same trash to create similar product. She does not want to go through the hassle of getting patent right for her creation, instead she challenges herself to keep creating new lines and the high quality. I noticed that her product is super in quality. She said that she measures stitches, I believe in that. She started the business with 70% defect rate to below 5% now. She creates a system to monitor each sewer’s work quality and productivity. I admire her high standard and the ability to handle that. Working with persons in certain level of education is a real big challenge that involves patience and.. time.
Anyway, listening to her telling her experience is always enriching. I have been in her ‘lecture’ twice now and would never have enough. There’s always something new to learn and reflect. And her spirit? It reminds me to do more for community and make use of the best of my life.
I skipped lunch with the ladies and stayed longer to talk with Ann and Unie, the manager. Ann and I have known each other for a few years now and have a mutual good friend lives in Manila. Unie was so nice to give me more discounts for my purchase. I bought a new hip kitchen sink bag which is an exclusive line because of its unique patchwork – they took picture of each bag and its owner (I'm lucky to get the right color of my personality); a round cushion with plastic shred for filling, and a simple trash bin to remind me to collect my plastic waste for them. Each item has its own message. Isn’t it great?
Three hours was enough to drain my energy. It was a humid day. I was wet and could not think of anything but take shower. I look forward to spending evening studying my new life plan. I got a new idea to explore yesterday. I won’t share with you now. I need to make a real progress before disclose it :-)
Photo of Ann and my purchase.