k e b a y a

I was driving home tired when remembered that I had an appointment with the IT guy. I walked my foyer mumbling I am tired I am tired I am tired. I was dead tired. Been more than six hours out of house, I longed for my quiet time doing my stuff. I didn’t especially want to meet stranger. I had seen too many this morning.
It’s an annual H brunch which I never went in my five years being the H member. It caught my attention because the talk was about kebaya by a prominent kebaya collector. I knew it would be interesting and was glad to know that almost all of my good girlfriends were coming.
I was dizzy when I got the place. Going with RIT ‘s driver needs high concentration. You could not miss a second or your day would be ruined because he plunged you into wrong route and bad traffic. I felt the car swung as he always took wrong lane, wrong speed, wrong turn,.. and I was sitting in the back reading the little map trying to locate the place. I don’t like to borrow his hands to drive, I also need brain to go with. Grr.
AMA was nice. She got me a cup of sweet coffee which I could not drink right away. Some ladies in kebaya dragged me to stand in front and had pictures taken. Yea, I wore vintage kebaya with batik scarf which I did over tight skirt. For the next half an hour I had to answer many questions about the kebaya and how I tied the batik scarf. I did ‘the show’ and the ladies touched me. Later AMA whispered from behind Why do they touch you? Ha ha..
I grabbed the sweetest cake I could find before the talk started. Lots of cake and sweets on dining table. I wish I could have one of each. They looked so inviting but my appetite was low as usual although I felt like kapoot.
It was a great talk. The American lady married to an Indonesian is expert of Indonesian motifs. And the other lady – half Javanese-half French – is the kebaya and batik collector, and expert in the history of both. I enjoyed the display of her collection.
When the interesting talk finished, the host opened the doors to backyard. There were some vendors selling nice stuffs. I made a quick tour and ended up ‘unwrapped’ myself in the garden showing people how to wear batik. It’s not easy to convince the ladies how comfortable and ‘secure’ wearing sarong is. My conclusion is many ladies don’t have the self-confidence to wear. They like to 'hide' behind the body-shape excuse. In my opinion, batik sarong is the sexiest outfit for any size and shape. Even it looks better on fuller body because it shows the curve. Aah.. How can I elaborate this?
Lunch was hilarious with NT joined. This Indian lady was the light of any group. She is always in high mood telling funny stories. She is well known for being the last person to enter a room but she is one of the most 'wanted' person. Six of us had a nice hilarious laugh in a Japanese resto. With KAT around, we often ended up in a Japanese resto. This American lady is Japanese inside although she wore Indonesian kebaya and batik sarong today. Never mind the wrap, it's the whole package that counts :-)
PS: My pray goes to TIR, MBO's friend, who passed away today (yesterday's post).