It’s cocoon.

I would close my eyes ten minutes. My friend told me after half an hour of yakking in plane. I turned on iPod and read. I was not that sleepy although I had light and short sleep last night. I was too anxious that I was afraid to oversleep so I awoke at 3. It was a good dark morning when we left house at 4:50. I drove to airport in 40 minutes only.
By 7 local time, we were in Yogya already. Catching worms. My friend was nice to pick us up in hotel and took us to his place where we spent about three hours learning about different materials to create a fabulous handwoven fabric with batik and embroidery. He showed us numerous handwoven fabrics using different material and technique to create. My friend’s jaw dropped. Mine too actually.
I sat and listened. I don’t like this because my eyes dancing while listening. I could decide to buy things I like in a snap. I kept listening and waiting. They were so hot talking about fabrics and doing business. When we walked out my friend’s studio, I had two wild silk (made from wild cocoon – not farmed) shawls in my bag. How could I resist those nice fabrics? It’s so raw.
My friend was so nice to take us to lunch then onto our next destination. An American batik artist married to an artist from Yogya. They’ve been together almost twenty years creating batik artwork together. For one I admire their work, but most of all, I admire their partnership in creating and business. It’s beyond comparison.
Again, I just sat and looked without plan to buy. I know the lady long time in Jakarta but still I feel fascinated by each work she created. She has long story of each artwork she created. Her collaboration with husband has character that you could just tell it’s theirs. Who could resist sitting for almost three hours just looking?
We were all tired back in hotel with bags of stuffs. I took out my shawls and admired each one. How could they do this? Just do it?
Picture of the two artists who could collaborate.