Friday, January 11, 2008

Mindfulness


Today is my third day of staying in. I was surprisingly productive. Reading and writing. I surfed quite many websites the past two days, thing I didn’t do often. It’s just nice to come across nice sites that might lead to other similar interesting sites. I'm hungry for good materials to read. I was thinking to run to the nearest bookshops to feed my hunger. If I don’t remember my... diet. I don’t need it yet.

I practiced mindfulness last night in my semi-dark living room. I just finished my evening meal (not proper enough to call it dinner) and was waiting for awhile before returned to the kitchen. I took time to enjoy the room and... my solitude. My. I feel so rich. So lucky to find the place that helps me to move forward with my life in Ubud. This energy, so precious.

Inspired by the success of the practice last night, I repeated practicing mindfulness in the morning. For me, I only have a relatively short moment in the morning to contemplate what to do first. What to do first is important for me to determine the rest of my day. I like the moment from the sun starts shining just before 6:00 o’clock till about an hour later. It's the brightest and freshest time in my studio. So it came to me this morning to tie some loose ends on money with friends and suppliers. Funny sometimes I have to be the one who wants to pay, not be paid. I don’t like to feel that I owe someone. But I also remember some outstanding debts that I also care to be settled soon. It’s just nice to have no outstanding matters.


So I’m happy with my good start in the morning. I also finalized a piece of writing that has very little personal elements, it’s more about culture, Simple -- a post before this. I’m happy with this piece, it's not every day I could compose something with only a bit of personal thought and feelings. So after published it, I sent out copy to some 18 good friends to seeking out comments. But I feel strange just a bit later! I lost confidence after sent. It’s good! I have reached a point of no return. Anyway, it’s time for my writing to reach larger readers, not keeping it too private too long. Get more exposure. The upsizing spirit.


Like magnet, just after I shared my piece, a friend asked through text message if I’m willing to do presentation about tumpeng (rice in the shape of cone for celebration in the Javanese tradition) before the APEC women next two weeks in Jakarta. I shrank. My downsizing button activates again. I realized it after I told her that I don’t feel mature enough for the topic. It’s only about rice!? What a fuss I've made! Well, I don’t know now.

Anyway, I feel light about the day. I feel that I have handled some important issues well. And before ending the day, having shower in the drizzle was perfect. I felt like having someone in the other side of wall sprinkling cold water. Mmm really nice!


Photo of a sign in a restaurant in Nyuh Kuning, Ubud.