Inspiration

Keeping a blog is tough especially a life journey blog like mine. And more because of my style too. I share my feelings openly that many don’t brave. I like to call my blog as my mental-health meter. A meter for loved ones who care about me, and for myself!
Learning that I could also feel lonesome, a friend wrote me an email the other day. She suggested me to stop listening to melancholy music like Sting, classical, and yoga music. Hm.. Sting? I told her that Sting’s music actually lifts me up, or better say, it’s inspiring because of the richness of the music and the lyrics. She suggested me to listen to electronic music with such beat to make my heart beat hikes up. But, yes, I see her point of not drawing myself into deeper well of loneliness. With her trekking spirit, she gave me an idea to drive into small villages and feel the nature some times. Hm. We have different ways to distract mind but I will consider her advice.
So I was haunted by her suggestions it seems. Not about the music that can drag me more into doldrums, but more of the concept of not letting my mood affected by things I listen or… read. I found the latter yesterday. I was reading The Post-birthday World the past week. This book is so popular last year about a woman living in two worlds: with 8-year life partner and a man who wants to marry her, that have polar opposites. Suddenly I felt tired learning the circumstance she is in. This is scarier than melancholy music. I decided to quit reading the 600-page book at page 220. I just don’t want to add more issues to ponder into my head. I need an inspiring piece.
Today I did what I postponed doing yesterday. Visiting Ketut, my ex-staff in Pallava. He’s a successful businessman now -- two years after he resigned from Pallava. I must say, I’m proud of him. He’s often in my discourse when I talked about business in Ubud. He’s a good example. I’d intended to visit him since long and the past few days I had strong urge to see him soon. We are colleagues now.
I visited him in his second shop in a year in the business. Two hundred square meters including three bedrooms, small living, bathroom, and toilet for guest. Yes, he lives in the back of the gallery with his Japanese girlfriend and a nephew who also helps out in the business. I looked around with wow feeling especially when he talked about how much money he has invested. Ah. Wow! He thanked me many times for the lesson he learned while he’s working with me for (only) six months. I realized now, it must be tough working with me but it’s good that he could benefit in such a short period.
I don’t have issue about he builds business using my suppliers. He’s done better than me! He told me that I should not have ‘quitted’ because the copycat shops have earned a fortune since I left the business. Within two years, a shop has becomes eight because of my idea to present the art. I smiled. I told him that I’m happy to have brought a new breeze in Ubud. Even watching him grow has made me proud and happy too! I like the idea of keep inventing and creating new things. He agrees with me. Copycat should not stop us but on the contrary.
I was still amazed by his success story. How my ideas have become a real business in Ubud and surroundings. Apart from those eight shops owned by a businessman, there are more similar shops around Monkey Forest now. Ketut suggested me to do price survey. Hm.. Good idea. I haven't been attracted to enter those shops because I have a similar one. Wrong! Especially now as I’m going to enter an art business again, I should start walking the shops again.
So we talked over nasi campur lunch about Ubud night life, working in hotel, and funny enough now I learned how to do business from him (creating network and tipping). We motor biked downtown after lunch. Checking out my future shop and our competitors along Monkey Forest road. It was a nice meeting on running motorbike. He is so inspiring. My flame lights up!
When I walked back home, I know, this is my place!
Photo of Ketut in front of his second shop today.