Plan

Having observed others and myself, I have this thought since a few days. I smiled reading a column in Bali Advertiser that answers to my wonder. Again about living in different pace and lifestyle in Ubud. A lady who once lived in Singapore (my guess she’s Australian) and who calls herself Ibu Kat writes about it as introduction to her topic about Slow Food movement. A movement to counteract fast food and the fast life introduced by a Balinese in Ubud. She opens her column with this:
“Life has been building up to warp speed over the past couple of decades. All the modern conveniences that were supposed to free us up for more leisure have actually made us more frantic. Computers, shopping malls, hand phones, gyms and self-improvement courses fill our days. Everything has gotten faster, from yoga to email. People are living the fast life on the fast track, eating microwaved fast food and expecting instant gratification.
It’s exhausting.”
I notice escapees in transition like me still carry big city lifestyle to sleepy Ubud (she names). I have a few examples. First, I still plan my day in advance. Second, I still need instant connection with the world (read: wireless connection). Third, I still feel guilty when I spend the day at leisure. A friend reminded me that I should not be worried about having no plan in Ubud. Life should be enjoyed more here. But who can really free self from planning? Let’s start!
I was in a café with live music one night. The café owner-cum-entertainer (saxophonist) is a Japanese so the largest crowd was Japanese, and the rest were a mix of nationalities that have become local residents. The café building is like a warehouse with large wooden doors and open space in the back overlook paddy field. We were sitting in a living room setting with Garland’s style bamboo seats and some long wooden tables. All are shared, no reserved or private tables. And before too long we start to have warm conversation with table-mates about life in Ubud.
The Ubud community is unique. An Indian correspondent for the Bali Times calls it international village. Ibu Kat listed the escapees' profession very well (I've met almost all that match): tax lawyers, computer wizards, consultants of every flavour, executives, TV news producers, chefs, psychologists, designers, managers, teachers, artists, publishers, musicians (I add),… They are all here hidden in lush greens. Some fall into the same pattern, came to Ubud for a few days some years ago, packed up, and were back for good as new persons. What we did in the other life is not talked often. In Ubud we live in the now.
As about the lifestyle we carry from the other life, now everyone needs lower walls but higher speed of internet connection as many still carry on with the past activities (only new arrangement) or have created a new business based in villas in rice fields but has international online clients. Ubud has developed vastly in the internet connection area the past one year. In six months, in addition to the villas with tall steel towers for the internet, now almost all big cafés have offered free wireless connection even some small favorite places already have it too. So anytime of the day we see many tables occupied with at least one laptop and more if the group works. I guess it becomes a good business for cafés nowadays as people might stay more than three hours and spend at least $8/person for food and beverage. Cheap? Yes, especially after downloading megabytes.
And the impacts of living with various ethnic communities in Ubud is I can enjoy varieties of food here. Ubud has one nice Indian restaurant although some cafés also serve Indian dish. Western foods restaurants are located side by side with local ones (Bali, Padang, Java, Madura) in all corners including good bakery selling proper bread and cakes. Wine and cheese? Sing kengken.. No problem.. Organic products are also available every Saturday morning in an Italian restaurant. The past two days I enjoyed home made chai-tea which the spice (made in Australia) I bought in a café. Tastes really good. So I hardly miss food I like and fancy as I can get easily around Ubud.
So what’s my plan for the day? I can't answer it now..
Photo of me in local outfit with my touch.