Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Bubbles


A friend introduced me to a new way of making a to-do list. He creates bubbles of what-to-do and blows life into it to make it happen instead of staring at an old form of to-do list. It’s a creative approach to rediscover the spirit of accomplishing tasks.

I’m not that kind of person with to-do list or... belum. I don’t have such discipline. Whatever form, a list or bubbles, it's still a list for me. But I'd like to buy the idea, so I make mental bubbles of what I need to do today as a start. I don’t specify the task in details, only the area I need to work on like: work, life, social, self,… I would like to see how I handle them before making it into bubbles with details.

I made a good start. Ngurah, Pallava staff, showed up unexpectedly before 9:00 o’clock to deliver laundry. I made him waiting for me to be ready as I need transport to go up to the shop. I had told myself to finish a piece of important task in the shop today. I need to make inventory of all paintings stored in both shops – in Jakarta and Ubud – so can start a negotiation with the three artists who consign the artworks. To be frank, I hadn’t known where to start because of a lot of paintings in both shops. But of course when there is a will, there’s a way to accomplish. I did it before three hours. Ngurah had been helpful, so my staff in Jakarta. I felt so good when leaving Pallava for next errands. To complete my social-bubble, I dropped by my neighbor to kiss him New Year before I went.

It was not in my bubble when I felt like to contact Mbo Yan, my masseur. She said that we had a ‘short circuit’ (read: an unintended contact) because she’s going to Ubud in a few hours and was thinking of me. She would like to share me her skill before attending her ex-boss’ birthday before dark. I also know her ex-boss, the Japanese salon owner, as I often visit her salon so I decided to also attend.

I did banking and bought a birthday cake before home. Very nice decorated cake with a very good price. I was surprised! Who said that living in Ubud is expensive? Many have told me, like everywhere else, we need skill and knowledge to survive Ubud – the upscale village in Bali. It’s true. I’m gaining both now. Jakarta prices have scared me more.

Anyway, I came a bit late to the party. I took time at home before leaving. It was a nice sunny afternoon. When I walked with a bottle of red wine and a box of cake, I felt like I'm going to attend a young kid’s birthday party. In Bali, many events are held in the afternoon. Good idea. Fresh.

I was among the lasts to arrive. It’s a nice mix of people: Balinese, Javanese, Japanese, Dutch, and American that came and went. I noticed everyone spoke Indonesian with the Balinese accent. I was surprised to listen to my light adopted accent too. What an influence to us all the non-Balinese? I enjoyed listening with patience to one who were telling story with the Balinese accent but with the first-language way of thinking especially the Japanese. I liked to see happy faces. So enjoyable.

Reviewing my today's bubbles, I'm feeling good when ending the day. I’m satisfied with the bubbles I have put life into. I have accomplished at least three main bubbles: work, self, and social. Such an achievement for me who prefers nesting at home. I will make other bubbles tomorrow morning which I haven’t set yet. It will come.

Photo of us celebrating Yumi's birthday.