Thursday, January 24, 2008

Routine


I got up to my routine. I stayed in bed for awhile, drawing up my day. Nothing came out. Lying on my tummy, I looked out the window above the headboard. My ritual when I could not figure out my day. Morning in the front yard often gives me ideas. Strange.

I enjoyed melting to my want yesterday but I couldn’t keep that too long. I have to make progress and that needs a bit of discipline. I looked around the room and realized that I hadn't completed unpacking. I had clothes from laundry and travel bag piled up on a chair. My books were scattered on the kilim. Time to reset, to start the day tidy.

I had this thought while washing dishes this morning: how routine has made us numb or deprived of responsiveness. Simple example. I’m not a snack person but in Ubud I become one as I don’t have meal regularly. I need to nibble something in between unscheduled meals. As I haven’t mastered (yet) selecting snack, I'm prone to select the same familiar snack --like a routine in supermarket-- until I realize later that actually I have had enough of the taste! It might be a bit too late then because I already have some two packs in the stock.

The same robotic routine also applies to something else like responding promptly to people. Nothing bad about it and I would like to keep it as habit. I just notice that the same habit doesn't apply to many people. People communicate through mind more, not real expression. I face similar problem with Ana, my driver, lately. He knows that I hardly failed to keep my schedule and he also knows that he never missed delivering his service so he replies less or nothing at all to my inquiry. Asking him his plan is already like an order for him mungkin so he doesn’t bother to confirm as he will show up promptly as I have asked. I appreciate that but what if technology fails us that actually he never gets my message? How would I know? It seems I have to start calling him instead of texting. And not applying the same motto No news is good news Mama and I share about the way we communicate. So funny efficient.

Things are not gone the way I planned because Ngurah, my staff, is still off. It’s fine. I walked downtown at high noon! It was h o t ! I loved it though. I liked to feel that I’m healthy. I was thinking to rent a bicycle to try out my endurance but later I realized that I wouldn’t stand the heat more, not the contour of the road. So again I dropped an alternative to vehicle. Sigh.

Ubud is still quiet. I enjoyed many groups of young kids playing Barong. It’s an activity they do during Galungan holiday. Two kids are wearing the Barong and the rest ten to twelve kids are playing percussion instruments. They walk from one place to another performing Barong dance and of course expecting tips from the audience. Not for earning, more for fun. They are cute. Some groups wear uniform, some are just relaxed, but one thing I like they all wear traditional outfit with sarong and udeng (headband). Very nice.

It's nearing the end of the day, I made a little progress on the business side. Do I need to create a new routine on this side?

Photo of a Barong group I saw today.