School-girl Meeting

I started very early today, 7:45 on the road. Yesterday I asked NIE what time we should be at CS house this morning and we giggled.. because we had to start early like school-girls. And there’s more.. we had not finished the homework to be submitted!
Yes, we attended Heritage group leader meeting. It’s end of the year meeting where each study group reports its activity throughout the year since September last year. And it happened CS, the coordinator, would move and be replaced. So it’s a farewell and welcome meeting.
There are about 12 study groups this year. Among the popular are art group (Group 1 for beginner and Encounters where NIE and I belong), explorers (exploring places in Jakarta), beads, textiles, literature of Indonesia in English, and many more plus evening study groups (for those who work in office or prefer to have evening activity). This organization is a good place to learn and meet people. Many miss this kind of organization when they move to other country.
Each group leader reported problems and contributed suggestions for the next. All had similar problem: shrinking group. Of 20 signed up, it ended up with 6-8 active members. It’s a dilemma. A group of 12 is perfect but to stop the list at 12 would end up with 4 active only. Like one-third. Problem number one: commitment.
Many don’t attend all meetings, they pick what interest them only. And that’s not nice because each member organizes one or more meetings. Some study groups are serious learner, especially beginner group. Each member is required to present a topic in a meeting which later it scares members who speak English as second language. They stop attending when it comes to make presentation before other members. I’m not alone, I’m only braver ha ha..
So we discussed about how to attract more non-English speaking (from Europe) and.. Indonesian members! Heritage needs more Indonesian to assist non-Indonesian in learning about Indonesia. Now it has only less than 10% Indonesian. Heritage also has French and Japanese sections to accommodate people who feel more comfortable to speak own language.
NIE and I looked at each other a lot. We giggled. We realized that our group was not a serious, but serious, group. We also enjoyed the after visit, like lunch and shopping! But.. as we all feel comfortable with each other, we formed a nice enthusiastic group – whatever reasons to meet.
In conclusion, NIE and I may lead next year’s Indonesian Contemporary Art Encounters Group (simply advanced art group). We are among minority who stay in Jakarta for years ahead.
I was dead hungry when we drove back to Kemang. We went to AKS bookshop to have a quick check. NIE had lunch date and I decided to have pita bread upstairs, in my favorite retro cafĂ©. I didn’t dare to browse more books. NIE promised to lend me some books and I still have a lot unread at home.
Had lunch, I went straight out standing in the sidewalk hailing cab. Ya, I got my car in garage since yesterday -- regular repair. I let myself being in cab more often this year. I take it easy; unlike before. Taking car in Jakarta has its own limitation; the 3-in-1, the limited parking without valet, and many else. Driver was driving tooo slow. I took short nap that later it caused me sakit kepala.
Photo: Two red small chairs at Galeri Kebun Yogya.