Friday, May 5, 2006

Art n Social Friday

Eight hours for art and friends. I’m only tired of the traffic. I drove to some destinations in narrow alleys n roads. Being unmovable in bad traffic could not be more fun. Enjoying sea of cars which hardly moved. Jakarta traffic.

I was fifteen minutes late to arrive at EDW gallery. Only NIE and RIT were there. Others were occupied and could not come. We had a nice time tho.. EDW new gallery is super nice – spacious and modern. This time he has sculpture exhibition called “small works”. All are small – nothing bigger than a 14” TV. Many mediums; wood, bronze, brass, copper, tin, resin,.. Many artists.

We had nice discussions every now and then. NIE and RIT are sculptors. Some needed imagination to see its beauty or its naughtiness. It was hilarious. We finished two floors in one hour. Still had time before lunch, we went to AS auction house. Finally

Mm.. nice gallery AS has. Modern and efficient. I liked the way he hanged the paintings on the wall and partition; and the storage concept. Very AS. His choice of paintings is good too. I liked many. And the price was surely affordable (the coming auction is “affordable art”). I didn’t meet AS, so I wrote in guest book Aku sudah datang!! Ha ha..

PEN met us at AS’. PEN and NIE could not join to have lunch at NT’s house. They knew that they could not have quick lunch at NT’s. So RIT and I rushed to NT’s house. We arrived the house way too early at 12:40. My German RIT was so nervous that we might run late ha ha..



NT was still in bath. We ended up making tour around the house ourselves. NT has a lot of nice art and things from many countries. RIT called it an art tour. Every piece had story. Later I admired the table setting more. It set for ten persons. White embroidered tablecloth with orchid flowers here n there. Nice round silver plate and lil bowl a la India, with matching silver glass. NT is Indian. Husband works in Nigeria now. More about the family, click
here.

NT showed up in vibrant orange – her favorite color. NT is always ready with stories. And she has a loud laugh. An Indo lady came – owner of a homeware shop. Two Indian ladies, very nice ladies. Then an Iranian lady. Last, BIR who tried hard to come. She had a bad flu. She looked good yesterday.

We had a short chat with NT and the dog – which color perfectly matched my outfit -- before she disappeared to kitchen. Rest of us were chatting. We just met each other for the first time. So un-lady, we started to talk about politic and presidents of Indo. After half an hour I felt sleepy. I had white wine. Ooh. Almost 14:00. When kitchen door opened, nice smell filled the air.

Twelve dishes. Perfectly done! Served in nice silver. Ooh.. entertainment of the eye and palate. NT is good in entertaining. She held many farewells in the past. She loves throwing a party to loved ones. If AR around, he’s good in mixing drinks – alco and coffee. Perfect couple.

Today’s mascot was crab in chilli sauce. I was having stuffed chili when NT put a big crab on my plate. I intentionally avoided crab cos I didn’t want to feel dizzy. I already felt it after a few dishes. I have to be careful having Indian for lunch. After dinner, especially after masala tea, I can go straight to deep sleep.

We chatted while waiting for NT finishing the crabs. I asked NT how to keep white tablecloth and napkins white; no curry spots. Amazing.

Dessert was another palate adventure. Only one Indian, others were Western. I had a bit of everything. No more room for coffee / tea. I hugged everybody and went home. I dropped off RIT and went to FRA for half an hour. Going home was hard. I felt like falling asleep in bad traffic. Good LIN went with me. Nice to end an art n social Friday.