Friday, May 26, 2006

5in1


My heart sunk when PEN texted me last night. She asked me who else would come to today’s art visit because hardly many in town. I made quick counting. Yea not many.. BIR in Lombok, RIT in Bali, SUS in Iran, NIE and CAT stayed at home for kids’ holiday.

In the morning, it crossed my mind to cancel myself but later I thought.. if I don’t go now, I would never see this big event -- Biennale. If it ends up just the two of us show up, I don’t mind spending time with PEN. Yea.. I got to go!

The ritual was.. I drove to PEN’s house then went with her driver. I could save my energy and had nice chat with PEN. Especially when we passed bad traffic area or had long trip, it’s just nice to have someone to drive.

We went to Galeri Nasional where this year’s Biennale exhibition takes place (shown in photo). There are two other private galleries which show other theme. Biennale is considered an important annual art event in Jakarta (and in many other big cities in the world). It is like competition, it’s not easy to have artwork exhibited in the event. Biennale has a curator team.

I was fascinated by AS’s installation in the front yard (shown in photo). It was rows of fire extinguisher with flame on both sides. He is very good in installation made of unused metal. I liked the work.





And entering the big gallery, my eyes stopped at the first painting. Ehm.. looked so familiar. Ahaa.. my grand-uncle’s work. I recognized the theme and color (shown in photo). Many artists in Papa family had similar style. War and brownish, like European painting. Mm.. so good to know that people still appreciate his work. He didn’t paint many during his life. He also liked to make huge metal installation, but he was in the batik business more than creating artwork.

I enjoyed the exhibition. It showed nice artwork from many generations. It amazed me how they brought out the masterpiece from private vault. The new artworks are also different. It gave me idea to do things because it’s a free style art now. Curators don’t just appreciate the conventional art like canvas painting, but macrame as well, or three-dimensional artwork like sculpture and installation (shown in photo; forgot to note down the artist's name).

We had a nice time at the Galeri Nasional. Six of us went to the nearest gallery which also participates in the Biennale. At Galeri Cemara, we saw artworks of foreigner artists live in Indonesia. Most of them live in Bali.

We were bubbling with Bali art trip this August. We got the idea to include more visit to foreigner artists in Bali because we are interested to know how the artists 'capture' the atmosphere and Balinese in their artwork. Like Yogya trip, we want to avoid ‘standard’ art trip. We want to go deeper. So we promised to contribute to the artist-to-visit list before summer holiday starts in a few weeks. My part is to prepare the after art tour, that is.. shopping trip!

PEN was nice to offer lunch at PI where I would have haircut. Five of us went. We had nice early lunch at a hip Thai resto. We had ample of time to have coffee too. That was rare! So the luxury that came after, we went shopping! Some wanted to go to my skirt shop. PEN wanted to check other clothing shop. So we went to both, plus one. I bought nice short jacket that I wore right away ha ha. It was cold in the mall and I would stay another two hours to get my hair done. So perfect. Well, I didn’t look for one, the jacket was there waiting for me.

I felt so rich spending time with girlfriends. It was not an everyday treat to be with girlfriends having time to have lunch and go shopping on the same day. Later PEN texted me that --on Monday-- they are going to an at-home-shop selling clothing from cities in Asia: Vietnam, Laos, Nepal, Bangkok,… I haven’t decided my Monday. I put it in agenda tho.

So I got my hair colored, then ran to get it cut. PIET was funny. I asked him what’s his plan with my hair before he started his show. He said… My plan is.. A SURPRISE! Oh ok,
I let you. I trust you.

I got nice quite short cut. Similar to the previous one but I think this one is more stylishly short. I can style it in many ways; from funky uni girl to calm Ibu look. I am happy with my day. I had unplanned 5in1 self pampering day;
art, girlfriends, long lunch, shopping, and hair jobs.