Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Spooky Silence


Ask me how I spend a day without speaking. I don’t know the answer. I could stay three days in a row in Ubud House without real communication, not even through phone. It’s not easy to be believed by many. When someone asks where I am, dengan siapa usually follows the question, with whom I'm in Ubud. It seems odd that I stay by myself especially later when they know I stay in a house, not hotel. A total hideout. The next question could be ada pembantu?, any helper? I heard some of them had started to seek out what kind of life I lead. Hm.

I stayed home all day yesterday. I had planned to prepare my art paper but only to realize later that I read a lot. I finished a book about writing by Natalie Goldberg, and read some articles in Ubud is A Mood. It thrills me discovering Ubud layer by layer: who discovered Ubud in 1900, who leaves significant mark in the development of Ubud, who change the face of Ubud, who gave touch pura and puri, who set up museums and other important places,…. Yes, Ubud has a special place in the world.

If I stay home, I don’t usually eat proper food. One toast sandwich with egg is the main meal that can be breakfast, lunch, or late lunch; and the rest of the day I have papaya, yogurt, and lots of drinks (from honey lemon to coffee and for sure milk). This stay I noticed I had picked up new habit from Pade, having ice cream. He likes to have coffee and/or ice cream after meal, anywhere, in warung or fine dining resto. The other day when I was in queue in supermarket I saw a girl sneaked an ice cream from freezer into her mother’s grocery pile in cashier. I giggled but then I found myself started following her digging the freezer. Now I have at least three ice cones in fridge every time I’m home from supermarket. Not good habit. I punished myself yesterday not to have one. Instead, I did yoga twice.

Yesterday was hot. I spent half afternoon downstairs reading in couch. It’s cooler there but I don’t like staying too long. I feel claustrophobic because I don’t see greens. I spent the rest of afternoon back in my king-chair by studio long table. If he wants, I believe Pak Pugeg really wants to ask me what I’m doing when sitting in the same location every time he waves hands from the next door house. It’s usually around 17:00 when he and his wife raking leaves and checking out the other house. What a nice aged couple! They share me good energy. I try not to miss chit-chat with the couple even I have to shout from my studio.

So what I’m doing? I don’t know still. Apart from reading, I like to take stock of anything. What books I have in the collection, which CDs to go, which wardrobe stays, and of course be a Narcissus (checking out which part I should work out more). And before I know it, it’s dark and activities slow down. I mean I'm back to reading.

Today I made myself ready by 8:00, the time my necklace courier came to drop the stuff off. I went along with him to the main road then walked to continue. It was a nice walk in the sun. Some businesses were still close. I had particular breakfast in mind, fruit salad and ginger yogurt at Kafe Batan Waru. It’s fresh to start the day. I brought my laptop with me because I need to work outside house. I follow Goldberg’s idea to write in café for a change, more inspiration, and fresher energy. Well, I didn’t write but make use of the free hotspot to download pictures for my art paper – my main reason to go.

I have been here three hours now, very productive, since I don’t see distraction. At home, it’s so easy to want to do something else. So I’m happy that at least I have finished fifty percent of my assignment. I can compose into PowerPoint any time later. Oh so nice… I mean it’s so nice that I can make necklace more tonight. Still have materials? Ya, but small size. I’m in the mood.

Photo of carved pumpkin at Dragonfly, where I’m sitting now.