Sunday, October 7, 2007

The Jakarta Studio


I planned to run errands yesterday but changed mind. Instead I stayed home doing my stuffs – decorating more of my studio. Making it my nest. I’m now satisfied with the atmosphere I had created. I have Sumio Suzuki’s precious art-furni as low table to do necklace or writing, two old stools (from China and Nias) to put my food tray or simply to elevate my foot, aromatherapy burner that burns anytime, and a lot of cushions I like. Now I feel at ‘home’, like in Ubud House, only miniature.

I had nice productive morning. I was about to read after got up in not-so-dark morning when remembered about a getting-close deadline for a presentation an art friend and I have to prepare. I had fresh idea to start doing the research for the paper. It’s kind of fun, been long not doing it since I’d been in a more-lunch-group than a study group the past four years. Not a complaint, I enjoyed it so much :-)

I searched the internet for three hours and am happy with the reading material I got. More than that, I also read about many things regarding the topic – three-dimensional art in Indonesia. Internet always amazes me with its endless source of information. Researching becomes part of learning then. Anyway, I hadn’t polished the material when I took break to yoga and have breakfast. The latter made me change my today's plan again. I felt my stomach spasm, I managed to have a bowl of papaya and half cup of bread-pudding but not a glass of milk – only half.

I stayed calm as I enjoyed Oprah Primetime about old movie star, Sidney Poitier. As I don’t watch movie much, I only remember vaguely about this star. Having watched Oprah show today, now I’m interested in reading his autobiography The Measure of A Man. Watching him sharing his thought, in his very well condition of 80 years this year, I’m inspired. What a rare man, a good man, who knows how to be a man with integrity and commitment, and what really matters in life. And I like about what he feels in his 80, he feels very good knowing that he has done his responsibility in life very well. I know the feeling. I haven’t there yet but I could sense if I continue living with care, I could be there, looking back life with satisfaction.

An hour passed after the show. Spasm had gradually gone but noon was coming. I don’t think I could enjoy going out at this day and time. It’s the last Sunday in Ramadhan. Commercial places must be full of people rushing to get things before leaving for home town or simply stocking up before helpers take days-off. I rescheduled my errands for early morning tomorrow. I only have two days before leave for Malang. Because of the uncertainty, I keep my schedule free for last minute change like today. I told my friends to meet up after the Eid holiday.

Well, any holiday should be fun. Although I start to enjoying my new Jakarta studio, I look forward to spending time with Mama and my dear nephew in Malang.

Photo of Sumio Suzuki’s art-furni I have in my Jakarta studio.