Wednesday, October 10, 2007

The Anticipation


Eid is a big celebration in Indonesia. I read in a newspaper the other day that Indonesian has different way to celebrate than of other Moslem people. Well, I didn’t realize, all I know Eid season brings major change in some of my life arrangements (for a while). I often travel but traveling for Eid homecoming brings different feeling because of the special preparation. It’s only cookies and gifts but those need my creativity and take my time to wrap – I like doing it my style. I like to do it but like writing, I also have moment with blocks that I needed to drag myself to finish up gift wrapping the past two days.

I got up late this morning, I didn’t sleep well. I was slow and felt like staying home. I had uneasy feeling anticipating my trip. I’d been good the past few years that I could take easy in an uncertain circumstance but Eid trip? A friend told me that airport was bad in the morning and later my driver said that toll road was slow. Ugh. I had no choice but to leave house four hours before boarding time. I prepared myself for the worse while hoping things go like in the Ten Commandments scene where Red Sea opens.

I felt tired before I actually walked out of house. I let go, whatever. And my Red Sea started to parting. Toll road was clear, traffic near budget airline terminal was normal, terminal was full but okay. So I became an enthusiastic traveler, I got airport in 40 minutes only, even the checked-in counter was still close.

Malang weather was surprisingly dry. Mama told me that it’s been raining the past few days. I had prepared by wrapping my stuffs to protect from getting wet in unsheltered Malang airport. When I sat in Mama’s house trying out internet connection less than an hour later, I knew, the Red Sea had parted for me. What a useless anticipation... I’m happy.

Mama and my nephew were excited to see me. Before too long, Mama had shared interesting story about her old friend she hadn't met 55 years. Meeting Mama is like rewinding time. She updated me with our neighbors, her colleagues, her friends from school and other organizations. It’s nice. Time doesn’t stop here.

Photo of frangipani trees in airport I saw today.