Monday, October 1, 2007

The Jasmine


My stay in Ubud has sped up to end. I have three days to be with myself and wrap up my stuffs. I haven’t checked up Pallava and started homework Linda gave me before I left. And, first batch of material to be translated from Museum Nasional has sat in my Inbox since last night. High-profile project (they say) that needs speedy response. How I should organize my days?

I looked around house and realized that my hotel melati (literally means ‘jasmine hotel’) has slightly changed. Hotel melati is backpacker hotel with rate around $8 – 20 per night. Or bed-and-breakfast type. A friend who once stayed with me who has a house by a beach in Portugal told me that we could not avoid stream of good friends coming to stay in our resort. Like her, I don’t mind at all as long as my guest can stand sleeping in a single bed in living room and living in 'emergency' as Ubud House has no closet to keep guest's clothing. Someday I would love to have a villa just for guests so they feel comfortable staying with me.

Been visited by some friends, Ubud House’s knick-knack has increased slowly. A Japanese friend gave a delicate Japanese cloisonnĂ© pen tray. A huge nautilus from an American friend to show his gratitude. A nice coffee-table book about the first European artist in Bali. And more essentials like blanket, towel, and pajama. Also, bath essentials and a wide range of snacks. More serious essential? Steam iron! What a nice way to upgrade my hotel melati. I still rely on my old wooden iron-table though although I already have Japan made iron-mat. So fun. I hope someday someone comes with microwave (if electricity capacity allows) :-)


Not only had added my possessions, my guests had also influenced the way I look after my household and my habit in the house. As I don’t drink water much, I have to remember to have plenty of mineral water bottles at home. I gave up having a gallon because I hardly finished. I don’t usually have big breakfast so only have wheat bread and jam. I shall develop my fridge's variety and also kitchen gadget so can make juice in the morning. Hm.

I also learned not to provide body wash with disinfectant-for-floor brand. I might be an exception to think like a surgeon – wash hands and body with Dettol! I will change to a sweeter brand – with disinfectant label at 6pt size so no one freaks out :-) What a challenge to cater all guest needs!

And, I take shower outside now! Many friends fancy about taking shower outdoor, Bali style, but I only started this visit. I used to take shower in tub inside, by a huge mirror that scares a friend since she unavoidably looked at her excess. It was hilarious because I also use the mirror to check out shape. Anyway, yes, I follow my guests who fulfilled their fancy while staying in Ubud House. Since then I look after the plants also clean the floor and walls around the shower area diligently. What a good influence...

I like refining Ubud House and myself with the help of my guests. I hope my guests had a good time during their stay in my bed-without-breakfast jasmine hotel.

Photo of Ubud House living-cum-guest room.