Thursday, October 11, 2007

The Values


I got headache since got up in ‘new’ bed. It usually takes me one night to familiarize a new bed before sleeping well the next days. I decided to be idle then. I took time to see (not ready yet to learn) my nephew making ketupat (diamond-shape palm-leaves to fill with rice) in two styles. So nice to know that the tradition of making ketupat in Lebaran has gone down generations in my family. I had seen Eyang making ketupat, then Mama, I don’t remember about my sister but I believe she can, and now my nephew. Hm.

Yesterday in airport, I bought a book I had seen looong time in bookshop, Smart Women Finish Rich by David Bach. I often feel curious about books that sit in ‘highlight’ table for so long. It must be well sought books that I might need to read. I browsed and yes, like saying — When the student is ready... the lesson appears (Gene Oliver) — I’m ready to learn about how to take control of financial future. I finished the introduction and chapter one in airplane yesterday and more today.

It’s an interesting book: easy to follow and not too technical. It helps the reader to, first, find their "values ladder" to know further why they need to feel secure about their financial future, then to recognize their financial behavior. Bach guides us to make "values ladder" by asking chain questions. When asked What’s important about money to you?, many people answer Security. And the ladder goes up with question What’s important about security?, some say having freedom (no duty constraint). And the ladder goes up onto next question, and on, and on. It ends, usually, with giving to children, having more time with spouse/family/friends, and making a difference helping others.

What a coincidence. Before Mama off to take a nap, she showed her concern about corruptor :-) She wonders why people need that much money as she thinks people don’t eat that much, don’t need that much to live,... I giggled, I told her that we all need financial security and that connotes with having a lot of money. Then she could not imagine how people use the money. She asked me, or gave me a test, what I would do if I were given a lot of money. I stirred my brain quickly.

Of course I’m not a Hermes Kelly-bag with colored croco-skin and diamond embellishment type. I told Mama that I would be happy if I can have more business. Yay! She looked perplexed. Not about the profit, more about the fun of sharing with more people while extending my creativity. I gave her some examples like to have a fine-dining restaurant for my nephew so he can share and show his talent in cooking, to have a spa so Mbo Wayan and Ayu can have a nice place to work, to rent out villas so Agung and many of my Balinese friends can work, to have shops with handmade stuffs so more people can do something, even to own a museum of any art,… I told Mama, it would never end if I have a lot of money. I know she could have the same idea. She had started with plant business that involves her network for marketing.

Now I’m excited to learning more of the Bach’s book. I look forward to doing the worksheet (Bach suggests to do the worksheet after finish the book).

Photo of leaves in Mama’s garden I found when I did yoga.