Thursday, September 6, 2007

Enjoy the Wavelength


Wednesday, September 5

Rita called me yesterday. She asked me to join her lunch with our mutual girl friend. I laughed. Rita, she would have texted me if she wants me to join. Rita thinks I’m sensitive about it. For me, it’s simple logic because this girl friend used to check me. After last two lunches that I could not join because I was in Ubud, she might have decided to stop checking me, which is very understandable for me. Not for Rita, she doesn’t believe that. I smiled listening to her argument.


I realized this morning that our relationship with anybody changes by time. Not that we lose interest, but wavelength just changes. Our attention and interest change because we grow and we don’t necessarily grow together. For me, it’s natural if we unintentionally ‘drop’ particular attention to pay more to other things.

I also noticed my online chat with some friends recently. Most of the time I share same enthusiasm about something with my friends in the other end. Only a bit later I realized, haa.. the topic hung in the air. My friends who are busy in office of course cannot respond the same way. Again, I understand because I can also do the same. Less intense because I have something else in mind. Weather check is the thing I should do before start engaging in an intense connection. Normal procedure that is forgotten often :-)

Nice insight I got in the morning. I started working on BA time-line in the morning after relocating a few stuffs in the house to create more space. Sitting idly and blankly is important sometimes so then we have space for an idea. Again, I’m satisfied.

It’s 8:46 now. I have decided not to join Rita to lunch. I better stay home and do my things before spending evening with my dear old girl friend, Yungkie.

I had a nice day and evening. BA time-line is so interesting. I found myself enjoy reading BA’s life story although I felt a bit tired of writing Met So-so and got married and two rows later I wrote BA divorced So-so, and less than two years another girl showed, and again. When I stopped writing, it’s already five. It’s stop now because I know this Thai girl was the last. Interesting life of a great painter.

I met up with Yungkie in PI mall. I left before 3-in-1 traffic regulation so could avoid bad traffic after office. What a nice arrangement. I had my computer with me while waiting for her so life continued.

We watched a collaboration dance performance of famous Indonesian group from Sumatra and Dutch group with international dancers. I saw the advertisement by chance a few weeks ago, if not, I would not have known such show exists. I made an effort to watch because the show plays in Indonesia two weeks in three cities and two months in Holland and other European countries. It must be special.

We got in the old Dutch theatre in Chinatown half an hour before the show. We were surprised to find empty parking lot. We had seen many shows with the parking lot full of cars, very full. We looked at each other. The show was 20-minute late. I had time to rough head count the audience while the light still on. Barely 30 of 450 seats. So sad. Such a world class show and empty seats? Where do they go wrong? Off stage team, Yungkie told me.

It was a good show. Very modern in black and white costume and backdrop. Seven dancers. I enjoyed the body movement, flexible like water ripples. I wonder if I can do the same if I practice. They looked definitely healthy. Later I told Yungkie that I really liked the bodies, they have normal bodies, with fat and shape. Yungkie’s dancers are bony mostly, flat and little muscle shows. Not natural.

The movement is innovative and the background music is another artwork. It’s a real artwork, not just clips of any existing music. They created the noise with Sumatra touch. Very very nice. The movement, lighting, and music make an abstract artwork. Like appreciating an abstract painting, a mix of many and no guidance, we are free to interpret. Poetic. The first half an hour I realized I sat like watching suspense movie, tense. I was very much into the movement that I needed to be aware to sit more relaxedly. Entertaining.

The show lasted about an hour. Just the right time. Yungkie and I closed the evening with tea. We talked endlessly since we met. I coughed a lot because my throat ran dry of too much talking. But who can stop me? We were in the same wavelength. Enjoy while still last :-)

Photo of the stage in the end of the show.