No-Plan Day

I arranged three lunches with three friends for today. Pien had booked me for her birthday today two weeks ago, then Peng arranged lunch for us with Niza, and finally Peng arranged another with Nita – our mutual friend from Washington. Whoever. I said yes to all and would see how things go in the end. Yesterday, Peng and I decided to cancel all, and later Pien told me that she would not be in ‘town’ till next week. Hyaa… when Mbo called yesterday I asked her to have lunch with me today. The more the merrier, I asked Rad to join. Just before the time, Vic too wanted to join. Here we all, a new set of friends.
It was fun. We had nice talk and laugh over Penang cuisine. It's funny that they tried to avoid checking out time. They all work. I felt bad as I was the only one who’s off office. We cancelled our plan to have desserts but have bigger plan instead… a plan to do a trip together.
Mbo was so nice to accompany me to get foot massage I needed since returning from Bali. It seems wearing too flat shoes had hurt my feet. Mbo herself needed to get her back touched before she leaves for Sulawesi tomorrow. Another busy body.
I’m glad I had used my time very well today. I visited Niza in her house after the massage. Niza and I had tried to see each other more than seven months. We had passed some stages of life while we were not seeing each other. Niza had been in Haj, had lost her father, and had problem with relatives recently while I had decided to divide my time in Jakarta and Ubud the past three months.
I came to see her because I needed to pick up my six-month old birthday present from her. Shame on me. Niza thought the gift had grown branches (it's mail and key holder made of old wood, her creation). I don’t blame the time that flies too fast, I just told myself to share it more with good friends. It touched me when she said To see you is my only pleasure now after a long venting. I care about her health. She carries too many unnecessary burdens she should not take. Apparently to live light and happy is an art, and a choice too. Living in #1 street doesn’t guarantee happiness. She needs to see more people I think. I really hope she could meet someone who likes her during this year’s London trip to visit the kids.
I ended the day nicely. Sometimes to have no plan for the day is nice.
Photo of a notice at Bedji Temple in North Bali.