Jam Gadang Time

Friday, July 20
We had planned to visit Bukittinggi since we left Jakarta. It’s 100 km from Padang and takes about two hours by car because of its winding road. Vic and I were excited to check out old stuffs in the city. Finally, we decided to leave hotel before 9:00 and be back around 15:00 to catch our 18:55 flight.
Yin and I had a chance to chat after breakfast while waiting for Vic to pick up document from museum and the Head’s car she nicely lent us for the day. It’s nice to know that Yin and I actually have mutual friends in Ubud and Jakarta. Again, I experience how true “6-degree of separation” is. Very nice!
Vic is an ever happy guy. So when he announced that we were going to have a non-aircon car to take us to Bukittinggi. I didn’t have expectation, just normal, but this shocked me a bit. Padang had a nice weather, cool and dry, and as we were going to go up to Bukittinggi we should not have problem with heat. It seemed that I had given Vic a hard time before we left because I was a bit worried. He bought us many bottles of mineral water to make sure we stay hydrated :-) So sweet of Vic.
It was a nice ride though, not hot at all, only later I found myself feeling suffocated because of inhaling pollution from bus and other vehicles. That’s when I felt dizzy, weak, and worn. It’s good that we got Bukittinggi before I passed out :-) It was a really nice weather with warm sun. I needed some time to balance myself from the dizziness.
We got recommendation from museum staffs to visit two antique shops, Makmur and Aladin. So we went to look for the former first in a market by the famous Jam Gadang, a large clock tower built by the Dutch in 1926. It was hilarious that we found Makmur shop but selling embroidery stuffs, and as we walked further down the street we found other Makmurs selling jewelry, electronics, and other than antique. That’s when I noticed that many shops have same name like Singgalang and Silungkang. We had a good laugh till Yin found a satay house where we decided to have a light snack before we went on. We shared a plate of 5 satays and ketupat, with thick curry gravy. It was really fun. We had a group photo taken in the place. We also took pictures with the owner :-)
The satay house owner showed Vic an antique shop nearby that we missed when we walked by. It was drizzle still but not harmful. Entering a shop selling old stuffs always gives me a good feeling. Very good feeling. I feel adventurous realizing that I might find something unique I can enjoy.
I started empty but of course I got hooked easily and... quickly. I got nice old chunky necklace Yin found, a small bronze chalice with feminine carvings, and six rice spoons Vic found among rubbles. I grow to have more interest in rice spoon after I bought some in Solo. I simply enjoy watching a bunch of big spoons putting together. And just before we left the shop, Vic made me a nice deal of a Nias stool I always like. Ubud house will get one this time.
We were continuing our searching when Yin spotted Aladin shop. I shut off my interest, no more spending. But how long do you think I could resist? I found nice bracelets and bangles in the back of the shop where they keep the valuables hidden. It took me no time to decide on my first purchase, an arm bracelet, and later Vic found a nice simple bracelet to match my Flores cuff. Hm. And finally Yin hit my ceiling with her finding, a nice ceremonial necklace with old corals and geometric style silver spacers. I didn’t have space to say no for the latter. I found my Bvlgari!
We stayed quite long chatting with the couple owner and their daughter. They started the shop in the 1970s and become well known for the good collection they have. They helped out a university in the US that wrote about Minangkabau culture by lending their precious jewelry for pictures. We could stay longer but it was time for us to move on.
We had nasi kapau inside the market suggested by the Aladin owner. I really enjoyed walking inside the market full of snack vendors. If I would have time, I would like to stop and study what’s available. We didn’t have enough time. We haven’t found Makmur yet, and Pak Haji’s shop we know in Jakarta. We laid out plan to visit Bukittinggi again soon. We have a long to-do list, also a friend list.
We got in the airport an hour before boarding. We had ample of time especially after the flight was delayed for an hour. Yin was tired that she wanted to get in Jakarta quickly. Vic and I were in constant fight over many things. He is a good fighting partner. Shall I say we were discussing instead of fighting?
We had a good time, that’s all.
Photo of Jam Gadang and Aladin owner family.