Monday, April 17, 2006

l A d i E s - o F - T o D A y


House was quiet at 6:15. Mama had left for Monday sporting. I woke up at 5:00 but dozed till 6:00. It was cold all night. I should have brought my travel thermometer. Mama said it’s about 23 (night) – 28 (day) Celcius. But it feels cooler cos humidity low. Nice weather.

I had ‘productive’ interview this morning. Helper just entered house when Siti – the veggie woman – came. I had done similar interview in the past, several times, but this time I wanted to note down. She has interesting life and she leads it with happiness! I never saw her in bad mood. She has loud laugh. Her eyes are always sparkling. See her picture here.

She went to big market at 2:00 e v e r y d a y. She starts selling on the street (she said something about someone’s house but by the street) at 4:00. Imagine that a lot of women go to morning market in the wee hours for household shopping (not merchandise shopping!). I was amazed when she told me that. What a life of a woman in Java? Indonesia? All parts of the world?

At 6:00, Siti starts to walk in (at least) three neighborhoods selling what has left from the morning market. She visits more than ten houses in each neighborhood. She has pool in each neighborhood where she put the main merchandise so she doesn’t carry everything all the way.

I asked her whether she is able to sell everything everyday. She said she is! She is very sure that by 9:00 all finished. People are easy she said. They take whatever she offers. I can picture that. I’d rather take what she brings, than have to go to market for lil thing I need. So interesting how she learns each household’s preference. She has good market research.

Then after 9:00 she helps some three households to do laundry. She finishes all before 14:00 and goes home. At home, she cooks for her family so kids can have meal when they get home from school around 16:00. Mother sleeps till 19:00 and life starts again. Spends time with kids at night and goes to market at 2:00 again. And she is a happy woman!! 10:59

My day finally ends. I stayed at home all day. It was raining all afternoon. I dozed, ate, read, ate, played computer, ate, drank, ate, read, read, wrote, ate,.. Chain was broken when Mama’s guests came around 15:30. Four beautiful ladies from the batik exhibition. One is Princess of Kraton Solo. One is a well-known dancer from Kraton. One is mother of a well-known ballerina in NY. One is Mama’s daughter-friend. Before they came, Mama was panic cos of my colorful bra strap showed. I told her that it’s in fashion now, I might inspire the Kraton ladies. She didn’t have a say. It was hilarious with the ladies. They selected and discussed the title of each batik.

In the evening Mama wanted to go to see the prep. Ugh.. it still drizzled. But okay, we needed to have dinner anyway. Dining at Tugu Park is always fun. Tomorrow starts at nine!!


Note: Photo of Majapahit terracotta ladies.