The Dark Knight

My Indian friends live in Perth told me the other day that they decided to make Perth their last destination, or – maybe – Ubud someday, but definitely not London where they grew up. Why? We could not take the depressing darkness in winter, they say.
Think I know how it feels. I got up in the dark this morning and it was cloudy all morning. I blame it on the weather that I felt moody and longing. I tried to visualize myself in a sunny morning. Yes, I think I could be happier and take the day more lightly.
My friend in London said that she would also prepare Hanukkah that falls on Christmas day. Then she would have many lights from Christmas tree and the Menorah with candles in the windows – lighten up London’s 4pm. She tried her best to have as many lights in the house this festive season.
I looked at my Ubud friend over unexpected lunch in a nice restaurant in Jalan Suweta. Aren’t we lucky to live here? My friend’s eyes grew bigger. Although we don’t like the fact that we deal with moldiness in cabinets, on shoes and sandals, on leather stuffs,… in the house; we are grateful to have a life without air-conditioner and so many lights to lighten up our late afternoon!
Picture of Bali Buddha restaurant in the dusk.