Saturday, December 27, 2008

Spectrum Connections


A very Christmas here in Manila. My friend and I visited a neighbor to greet the couple the season. Their little apartment was heavily decorated. The Christmas tree touched the ceiling, the cushions had Christmas theme so all home wares, and on the foyer table was diorama of newly born Jesus. Christmas in the Philippines is big so I thought they also get together on Christmas evening. They do but with house members only. I found out later the big family will get together during the New Year. They fly to provinces to be together. That is nice.

I thought about how we connect these days. This morning I giggled when got a reply from my Ubud friend responding a junk email I sent. Like many, it’s an email with many interpretations, nothing serious but it had connected our other side – naughtiness in this regard. It was fun. Need no time, no fuss, but it connects.

Then. After Facebook, now it comes LinkedIn. I signed up after got first invitation from a woman with hundreds links. I studied quickly and decided to join. Only later, again, I felt not sure about connecting my circles through me. I have not decided what to do like I have not closed the account but I’m still considering if I would continue. I haven’t seen the benefit of being in someone’s link or linking people or my circle. I will sink it in first.

Reading year-end editions of Time and Newsweek how online network has taken part in our life, I realized that indeed the world has become smaller. A friend notified that he is close to Purwokerto now that I don’t know where he is heading. Or, I am sure that we don’t think much about long distance relationship anymore since distance does not exist – anymore.

Nice cooler Manila. I would spend afternoon reading year-end editions of some magazines. One of my favorite thing to do before a year ends. I might skip make a resolution for next year. A friend reminded to only make a resolution that I can keep otherwise no use. That’s very true. I will not be ambitious. For one because my Chinese horoscope prediction says I would have a good year in the Year of the Ox. Also I already know what I want. I want my life to be more colorful next year: new line of business, warm friendships and relationship, healthy lifestyle… That’s all (after three items and never-end dot mark?).

Picture of a cake for two in Starbucks today.