Sunday, December 28, 2008

Soldiers of Change


Not too much ice cream, you see David! My Ubud friend texted me in the morning. I told her the other day that I thought of her while enjoying ice cream in nice late afternoon. Yea, holidays break routine. I eat things I don’t usually eat back home, I do things I don’t usually do, I simply start a different lifestyle even my bio-clock has slightly adjusted.

I would like the idea to tie loose ends before the year ends. I keep thinking what I should do because I felt like I had done all. I reviewed my hard disk that I still don’t think needs a backup. Then I thought about my blog. I don’t like to think about the possibility of losing the daily posts (some websites just closed after a few years without sending prior notice to its patrons). Well, I had made backups of some posts but have not done posts of the past one year ten months. Worth wasting my time or not? I’m still questioning myself. I must say that I have become slow a little bit (or a lot?) when away from home.

There were two things that seized my attention later in the afternoon. My friend asked me about what I know about life coach – a profession that becomes in demand lately. It took me some time to formulate what I know into an acceptable English. I came up with two main concepts of life coaching: defragment (an analogy with Windows OS) and tidy up personal challenges. Hope my answer helps.

Then I observed an alteration shop in a hi-end mall. Its location is a bit hidden near a barbershop but it’s ‘there’. I wondered who use the service the first five minutes I sat waiting. Before too long, customers with bag of clothes started streaming in. No wonder the shop has many branches (I read their plastic bag)! A business that hardly exists in Jakarta. No one would like to spend more for alteration in malls that they can get same service but cheaper in tailors near home. In the opposite, no such Jakarta tailors in Manila. It’s fun to observe how people come up with a business. The principle of supply and demand.

So what do I need now? Defragmentation or alteration?

Picture of Michaelangelo's David a friend sent. Thanks, Ko!