It’s the conversation.

All we own in life is
who we are,
what we say we are,
and how we choose
to act.
Steve DeMasco,
Kung Fu MasterYesterday I spent the day by talking a lot since morning. I could only reach Pallava at noon because of talking on phone all morning. I believe my talking time on phone is the longest in my history of having cellphone(s). Also, my talking time off phone!
It’s an unusual day that I needed to make many phone calls and amazingly many also called. I was already late arrived at Neru after Ayu’s shift but an hour later my neighbor friend snatched me from tending shop to have coffee with his old friend from Lombok. He said that he didn’t do that often so I had to come along. Two hours passed as another friend joined. At first I felt a bit uneasy thinking about my closed shop but then I just let myself enjoying the company of two new friends. In Ubud, I have to be flexible.
I was already at Neru when one of my new friends came over. She owned a warung I often visit to have lunch. It’s a small Ubud. We felt familiar to each other since the first time we met. So we talked for another hour in Neru. When she left, my uncle in Malang sent me text message telling that Mama’s car hit garage doors. Another long talk on phone. Mama is fine. That's more important.
I felt like staying quiet after twilight. No more conversation. No more choosing to act. I long for home… It was a dream! I had long talk with a cousin I hadn’t talked for years. It happened I talked with his sister before she handed the phone. It was a nice catch up but wow…
I went to bed early with intention to catch dark morning. It was another dream. I had slept almost an hour, was still in light sleep, when I heard my phone ringing. Another an hour and half spent talking with uncle in Jakarta. He’s in good mood so we talked about a recent issue and my new life! He said he deserved to get explanation from the first source so on I shared him my life story. We ended the conversation around 1:15 in the morning. Both felt relieved.
Picture of Tenganan girls and boys doing a ritual using the swing.