Sunday, October 22, 2006

l u x u r y


Get a feedback is always fun. About photo I shared or especially about topic I wrote. The bottomline is… it’s nice to know that someone pays attention. Yaa, my Sis sent me feedback on food decluttering. She’s not an email-writer type so I must have shared something that led her to write ;-) Thank you.

In general she understands the problem I face because she knows me of course and also she faces the same problem. She shared me tips. The first is the basic of do-not-procrastinate; share the food right away, do not let it stays in fridge too long. And the second, she shared how she deals with accumulating leftovers (I guess she deals with less 'fresh' food because she knows and only buys what she likes).

She reviews her fridge every Tuesday because the garbage-man comes every Wednesday. The same idea cannot actually be applied in Jakarta because Jakartans are lucky to have garbage-man every day. But of course I can adopt the idea to have weekly food declutter. I would rather choose Saturday morning as the day then. Why?

Although literally have ‘free’ day every day, but I like to let my Saturday morning freer also my staffs. I let them do different thing, cleaning or creating. So I thought it would be perfect if I share them food I ‘collect’ the past week -- if any -- for them to ‘modify’ or just enjoy while they do their end-of-week business. Then I can start the coming week with empty fridge. My Sis also reminded me to 'appreciate' my fridge clutter by telling me how she misses snack I don't eat which she could not find in where she lives and how expensive shrimp-crackers could be in the US, USD 3.5 for ten? Of same price, especially in Malang, we can have two huge jars. Yaa.

Enough about food. Now about a day before Eid. I got up in quiet Jakarta. I sat in balcony and enjoyed the ‘no sound’. No kids going to school, no street vendors shouting, no staffs washing cars,… not even a bajaj passing house. Yesterday traffic was nice altho sky has not been blue yet.

Two live-in staffs will depart for hometown this afternoon and be away for ten days. The Catholic one who doesn’t celebrate Eid will come every morning and leaves in the afternoon as usual. I’m lucky to have such arrangement, not many Jakartans have the luxury. They have to look after house and kids themselves during the season. I only have to look after Chiko’s dinner and supper, and his time to socialize. Ya, living in Indonesia is luxury :-)