L-Day

Today is a truly lazy day. Not that I was lazy; but I found myself late, stuck in not interesting sessions, too lazy to move,.. I hope this is not a third-day syndrome.
I did my morning ‘as scheduled’, only I was too late to shower, five minutes too late. I talked on phone for a few minutes with hair all wet from shower. I came down to breakfast ten minutes late. I talked with two volunteers in the Festival that took more minutes.
I found my cellphone went blank just before I left for the Festival. ‘My life’ paused and changed instantly. I fished my PDA in my big bag, it’s hidden among my stuff from adaptors to accessories. For awhile, I felt peaceful knowing that I would not be reachable for days. I texted only my loved ones that I used other number.
Hey I was twenty minutes late by then. Morning session had started. It’s a one-to-one dialog between an Indian writer lives in Mexico and the Festival director. The venue was full, I looked for a seat 'silently'.
I like this writer, I followed some of her sessions. She spoke very softly, she is calm, she is motherly. She shared more of her family and her 'private' fantasy about being an 'exposed' woman (not 'caged' at home taking care domestic stuff). Her appearance does not show her modern thought about being a woman. I 'heard' that she is a legend in literature. I bought one of her books two days ago (which later I found out that is not the best of her) and got it signed after the session.
Initially I wanted to join the other venue’s session featuring a mixed Indian writer but I decided to stay. One for laziness, two for the writer featured was kind of a ‘sad’ woman, three for I was engaged in a conversation about ‘half-blood and full-blood’ concept and Hinduism that I didn’t have time to move, and four for.. it would be nice to know more about Balinese literature.
I sat in the very front row with my new girlfriends. Hm so many panelists. Oh okay, two interpreters but one looked so… good! For the next an hour or so, we had our eyes pampered by, especially, the two men sat in front. One was… for sure, the Prince of Ubud. He has the charm of a prince. He dressed up. He was a good looking Balinese. The other was one of the interpreters. He has Australian mother, so Balinese looking.. with ‘touch’. Oh.
The session was quite boring because of the translation. I just enjoyed the guy who translated of course. It’s good to always find way to escape from boredom. The prince passed us when he left stage. I smiled the widest possible when he nodded. Oh so nice. My Australian girlfriend said thank you. I asked her for what.. She said.. for sitting in front of us. We had a good laugh.
Again, I decided to stay for the discussion on Islam in a modern world. The session had ‘vocal’ panelists. It turned out good although it sounded more political than literary discussion. After the session, I really needed to leave. The next session would be about Indonesian literature with all Indonesian with interpreters. Really ‘half session’.
We went to food court to have nasi campur again and stayed there for awhile to relax. Ubud was nice especially after light rain, a bit windy but very nice.
We were late for the session about poet influenced by imagery and first language. I almost fell asleep so my two friends. Ha ha.. we looked at each other, longing for coffee. We ran for coffee right after the session finished.
We were late again for the next session about documentary-film making. We watched a short film about Bali bombing which broke heart. I awoke for awhile then felt like falling asleep again when the discussion started. Another session with interpreter. The Acehnese guy who makes documentary film was good tho. I’m not exposed to the world of movie making in Indonesia and was surprised to see how creative this young man from an area outside Jakarta. For those who know Indonesia would know what it is like to be creative in cities with lack of facilities. So, salute for him!
Finally the last session. About blogging. Real eye and mind opener. The session was truly hot. The four writers and the moderator are blogging. It’s amazing to know about their need to blog every day like to have meal. How the comments influence their mood; up and down. Sounds familiar. How their blog found, picked, and listed in ‘prestigious’ web for the material they write.
One panelist is well-known for her “bloog” (blog based on book) and a publisher has contacted her to make a book out of her blog. So interesting. It’s really about a medium to channel out what writers have in mind where a column only needs 500 – 1000 words -- not enough for a writer with so many things in mind.
I talked to the 'bloog' lady after the session ended. It’s nice to share with other serious blogger who is about my mother’s little sister age but.. blogging. What an amazing lady!
In the next hour I sat comfortably in a hip resto by the main road of Ubud. I attended an Indonesian writer’s book launch. It looked more like a party than a book launch. Everybody enjoyed the nice drinks and good finger food while chatting with friends. Many were dressed up for the occasion while we had oily face. It was so merry that hardly one listened to the writer's speech.
I came to Jazz Cafe for the evening session with poetry reading and dance. I only stayed for an hour. Not that I was tired, but I found myself just sitting and talking again (no space to stand and mingle). I needed time for myself. I got home 22:30. Happy with my ‘late’ day.