Friday, August 28, 2009

Are you ready to go?


My friend asked me this morning when we met for a few businesses before I leave. Mmm should be yes. I had a long to-do list to run today. Unexpectedly. I thought I wouldn’t have a car but glad the car is out of garage while waiting for the parts to arrive.

My life has been whirling like a fan. In and out. Visiting hometown has put me in some sort of different feelings. Chatting with ex neighbor had entailed to a series of phone calls from somebody who expected me to help. Chatting with cousins helped me to cherish the loving memory of our Eyang like how great she was as a grandma in our age. A real Javanese woman in batik and wearing nice hairpiece at all time. She passed away in 1996 in her 86. She is an idol, still. Lastly, chatting with an old friend brought me to her bitter circumstance.

I felt good when landed in Ngurah Rai airport. My like for Bali is indescribable. Also today when I drove back from my friend’s house passing a vast rice field with a deep valley in the distance. I said it loudly I would never take this for granted. And I mumbled the same statement when walking in the sun in Jalan Kajeng. A little road with charm.

I finalized packing before dark. I will have a half day tomorrow but really I don’t want to think anymore. I decided to close the packing business because I wanted to end the process. Oleh-oleh are surprisingly not-light. I have with me a bit of Bali coffee, abon (beef floss), and bawang goreng friends asked to bring. I also bring some nice textiles from a foundation shop that practices fair trade with the weavers around Indonesia. I’m happy to have found a great gift that helps me promote Indonesian handmade works.

I ended the day very well. I got an offer to help the Heritage to do museums stuffs for Museum Encounters (Java-Bali) book. The Jakarta edition has been launched last year and is a great success. Now the organization will do the rest of Indonesia. Ah great! I’m excited to start doing it after my return although the deadline is quite tight. My friend sounded happy learning that I agreed to help. He has missed me helping out in Jakarta. Well…

View from my Malang bed.