Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Keep smiling.


A friend reminded me knowing that I might be an one-eyed pirate this afternoon. It's nice and I kept that in mind but… I decided to get treatment in national hospital instead of private hospital I used to go for annual medical check-up because of the cost. I was surprised to learn about the difference yesterday. The national hospital costs one-third of the private for the same consultation (procedure and medicine costs are unknown). Also, my problem is minor. And, I want to try other hospital!

I made an appointment with the eye clinic in the national hospital this morning. Its website has helped me a lot in making decision. The pictures look good although some websites can give wrong impression too. I’m glad that I have chosen the hospital. It’s a very good one in terms of service, and it’s reasonable! Not cheap but fine. I was sitting in the waiting room of the eye clinic when thought about my national hospital in Jakarta. Said it has the latest medical equipments but said it's better to avoid to get a treatment there. A hospital where you can mingle with alley cats in VIP recovery rooms.

This is what I like about Singapore. Prompt! I sat on examination chair at exactly 1:30 as the appointed time. Again, the doctor looked impressed with my eyeballs condition. She gave good remarks. I must have had a good eyeballs and I have to believe that. She thought that my pimple is common like anybody can get it anytime. It’s not a disease, it’s just an unbalanced condition – like many things else that cause your body suffers from something? She suggested a procedure lightly… Oh shall we make incision as drainage? I saw we had no option. It’s a 'minor' procedure – minor for the one who does the procedure. I will numb your eyeball and give injection near the eye! My mind went numbed already.

So I waited for an hour outside the procedure room. All by myself. Playing with the what-if-s in mind. The Filipino nurse was kind to offer me coffee. I told her that I was too nervous to drink. Then she offered… chocolate!! Later I was glad to have this Filipino nurse. I feel at home. She stood by my side and let her hand being squeezed by a nervous Indonesian patient. It’s beyond my dream that the doctor sprayed my eyeball, then gave injection near eye, and slipped an eyeball cover under my eyelid before the knife dancing on the spot! I could not feel but my mind played its own show that made me very nervous.

The procedure took less than 4 minutes, I believe. The doctor said I was doing very well. I questioned her judgment since I felt I kicked out and squeeze the nurse’s hand hard. Oh at least I didn’t see that! The doctor calmly answered. I liked her (but I don’t want to see her again!). Young and bright! I was wobbly for a few minutes because of the anesthesia. I needed some time to get used to do things with one eye. It’s so easy when we play covering one eye then doing things. In actual fact, it’s so different! I had to be careful not to hit a pole or an open door because I could only see half of the world. Feel blessed to have both eyes functioning. Really!

Another medical check-up tomorrow then done. I look forward to having better days in Singapore while waiting for my eye to recover. I only realized this noon that the Great Singapore Sale is on since last May. I didn’t know! But why were many shops empty and did ones hardly walk on Orchard Road? Global crisis? Anything, it gives me a brighter side of coming to Singapore to see doctors!!

The sale is on!