Friday, October 3, 2008

Baby’s Day Out


It’s exactly the day! Dhana exclaimed. He learned the date from Papa’s grave post. I knew but I forgot. Yes, today is Papa’s 15-year anniversary of passing away. We visited the cemetery before noon after a stop at an uncle’s house to Eid chitchat.

We decided to have a mini tour downtown after two days locked self at home. We stocked up food: bread, sweets, syrup, and many more. Like kids without ‘supervision’, we just bought whatever we fancied. I was alert of potential for wasting food or stuffs though because we were starving when shopping. That’s what they say: don’t go to supermarket when you feel like eating.

Walking in a mall in Malang is a new experience for me. Being in long queue to have lunch, in Malang, is quite an experience too. We had fun. Got home, I felt tired although it’s only a four-hour trip. Must be the new experiences…

I didn't have time to relax as Oom Anta's friends had arrived. They came to help out in the house preparing Mama's Quran reading. They say that one’s spirit lingers in her/his house until 40th day of passing away. So in Java, they hold a Quran reading on the day after the same ritual on the first to seventh day. Mama’s 40th day happened to fall on the same day of Papa’s 15-year anniversary of passing away so we held a joint commemoration.

Only a few attended the Quran reading since many were still busy with family on Eid days. Tidak apa-apa. I’m glad I had had nice chats with many of Mama’s closed ones since yesterday. Her vegetable vendor, her closest opposite neighbor, her roommate on overseas trip, and finally one of Mama’s children (Mama supported some 35 teenagers to finish university).

Like my friend shared with me, let’s hope Mama’s spirit soars today. We all had cherished our time with Mama. And would continue it for ever…

Picture of Papa’s grave post.