Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Have I showed up?


Wow life is plain and no dynamic here, my friend commented after spending twilight in the center of Yogya yesterday. We took becak and andong with horse before dark to pass the street we’d been in the afternoon. Night was still very young that we didn’t know what to do. We checked out a mall and were just walking briskly inside to observe the people and what’s in the mall. Bored, we went out watching the street and decided to have early dinner on the sidewalk of the famous Malioboro. Those lesehan restaurants.

I agree with my friend’s observation about Yogya keeping the same dynamic since the last time we visited. People walk downtown before dark and continue till late. Many batik clothing and tee shirt vendors sell in the same areas. Many eating places set up after dark. My friend doesn’t think he sees any gap in economy so it’s good and so many youngsters around because of the nature of the city – student city.

We went to Solo today – without plan. We stopped by Candi Prambanan on the way. It’s already hot when we got there around 10 o’clock. We giggled as we looked like Amandari guests in Ubud – be in a cold car, visited places in a quick manner, be under umbrella always… Yes, we didn’t have to stay long because Candi Prambanan has fence around the complex to control access after the big earthquake. I’m lucky I’d once been when the complex was still open so we could go inside each temple.

I didn’t realize that Solo is not that close from Yogya. It was quite tiring sitting in the car. My friend joked a lot with the driver who looked confused with our relationship (that later he asked me during lunch what relationship I’m with my friend). We fought a lot but giggled a lot as well. So funny.

It’s good that I visited Pasar Triwindu before it’s closed down end of this month. The local government plans to build a building in the area to accommodate the antique vendors. The vendors expressed their disappointment as they feel the traditional style of market has different attraction. I don't have opinion although I agree with them. I understand that sometimes it needs a big courage to make a significant change to be better. So we’ll see…

I didn’t buy much. I lost ‘interest’ already remembering a pile of stuffs at Pallava. It would take me long time before I could shop again. Good my friend bought quite a lot so we didn’t waste the trip. Oh not a wasting trip for me actually, I hardly feel bored with the market. It’s a sea for treasure hunting.

We felt drained by the heat. When we walked in a nice mall after siesta, we already lost interest to see things. I met two good childhood girlfriends in the evening. It’s strange, I had decided not to let them know that I'm in the city but I surrendered after they caught my energy. They sent their picture together through cell phone in the afternoon. It was fun actually to meet old friends. I shouldn’t have hesitated to just show up.

Picture of Candi Prambanan.