Friday, February 1, 2008

Chat


I had a busy morning yesterday. It’s so nice to have a car that I could get things done – more flexible – but I also still enjoy being driven. Nadi took me to airport to meet my dear friend from Jakarta. My thick-and-thin friend. She’s been with me in my thick-and-thin of life the past seven years. True friend indeed.

It’s still hard to believe that this time I stood behind the bar in the meeting-point side in the airport. I live in Bali! I observed people who waited with me: many were from hotels with signboards and some foreigner locals. It’s so nice to see happy faces coming out of the arrival hall – the fresh city faces without color. So my friend!

She’s one that can chat with me non-stop. She looked happy to be off her normal route Jakarta-London. I took her to Legian first with hope to meet our other ex lunch friend in Jakarta, like me, she has moved to Bali last October. She lives by the beach near airport.

Anyway, we made it. Our French friend just finished a meeting with international women association in Bali that I’m still considering to join. We liked her look. She keeps the stiletto and big jewelries on! She might keep her Paris Hilton style but actually she's done better than me in blending with the culture. She celebrated Galungan! She wore kebaya and went on motorbike to three temples to do the ritual! Ah. And interestingly, she even experienced peace inside in one temple. She’s really into it!

Her life in the beach is slightly different than mine in the hill. We have different characters of neighbors too. Knowing her restless spirit, I picture life in Ubud is more suitable for her. It might calm her down. We enjoyed listening to her sharing experiences as a very city girl living in a remote village by the beach without internet connection and cable TV! So often she’s 2-3 days late for breaking news as she could only check the news in the big resort nearby – ten minutes by motorbike. Ah.. we admire her new life because it’s so drastic different and challenging. In her mid life!

It was fun. We parted two hours later and I took my friend back to my life in Ubud: went to an office, picked up pictures, met a Balinese friend,… My dear friend loves Ubud House. She kept wow wow walking in the house which she thought it’s small like a bird house. Definitely a big bird living in the house.

She gave me a really nice birthday dinner. We got home close to midnight. Girls. Can’t we stop chatting?

Photo of us in Legian.