Wednesday, May 27, 2009

I make time to socialize!


A well-known senior jeweler I know told me when I made sure if he had time to have lunch with my friend and me. Actually his wife who asked us but it’s too good to be true that they would spend long hours with us after our visit to their factory before noon. It was a sweet answer that I appreciated so much! He was very right about making time to socialize. That’s how we know others!

I was invited to come to the factory to see their latest collection that haven’t displayed in the shop. I was happy that my friend decided to join (after gave it a thought for some times). The factory was super. They have happy staffs and silversmiths. It tells me how the artist treats them. The creation is out of the world! I have been a fan of his jewelry since years years back. He announced to the staffs that I’m a big fan of his creation. They could plainly see!

I learned from the visit. How to manage people, how to run a company that does business world wide, how to visualize a design before make it into a real creation (I could not help admiring a 68-year-old artist who uses Mac to draw), how to share profit with middle-man… Without the connection, I would never get such lessons. Not in any syllabus of any course.

The lunch was just perfect. It’s always nice to know a new nice place to eat. The chat was super too! The artist showed intention to collaborate with my friend that she started to chicken out realizing how big is his name and how small is what she has done. I encouraged her to be a confident artist since she actually had created nice things in the past. Including jewelry.

My friend and I had a nice closing chat in a restaurant in Ubud. We reviewed what we have learned today. Definitely, doing business is an art. Choosing a partner is another art to master since we have no control of other people at all. And like many have experienced, a real character will start to show when profit is involved.

What a day of discoveries!

Mother-daughter corporation in Pasar Ubud.