Wednesday, January 10, 2007

The Bali Way


Bali sun was energizing me, like magic. I’m glad to have decided to take a holiday after NY holiday. I could not believe myself I had been three months cocooning at home. It felt so good to be back on the road. I will travel more this year.

I felt tired. Flight was 45 minutes delay. Taxi driver was driving recklessly but I didn’t want to say anything. It made me tired to be shaken in the back. Dropped off stuff at PLV, I met my dear neighbor MW. It’s fun to see him but he often had something cynical to say. Like many men of his astro sign, he is adorable yet hate-able. My challenge :-)

I was thinking to walk downtown and rented a bike to take me back but.. weather was too nice. I sat in the garden for awhile while trying the internet connection – which is super slow for beta-version webpages – then called my favorite Mbok (big sister) “can-do-all” Wayan. I met her first time the last time I came for Ubud Festival last October. She worked in a salon owned by a Japanese. I was stiff and desperately looking for a massager when I spotted the salon next door. The place was small and clean; and she was good. I’m not a massage enthusiast but she was so efficient that makes me reconsidered my hesitation in the past. Short but enough.

Anyway, I called her to ask what I should do this visit. I have four days before her off day on Sunday. She laughed. Anything you want me to do, Mbak. Tell me. Massage today and the last day, she said. So I went. I also did pedicure. I told you, she is very efficient; all were done in less than two hours. She knew that I’m not a salon mania, she made it quick. I have made an appointment for tomorrow to do facial. I am pampered here. Today she charged me $6 for all. Visit Bali!!

I don’t have plan for the evening. The hotel is quite in the middle of a jungle and steeply high. I need the location for the internet connection :-) but then is too far for me to walk downtown. That’s okay.. I can arrange if I want. Ubud is ever flexible. And I’m not hungry yet. I have ideas to spend the night.

Photo of colorful me and my Bali gear.