Unlike my friend's thought, Manila looked 'normal'…

…on Valentine’s Day yesterday. Bouquet of roses? It’s not so special here because Filipinos like to send flowers especially roses anyway. My friend told me that Filipinos are romantic all year long. I could see that when I visited the city for the first time. I saw advertisement of ‘send roses to…’ in mini markets that open 24/7. Bouquet of flowers are also sold in unlikely places.
So how’s my Valentine’s Day? While I observed how people celebrated the occasion, I must say I didn’t feel special about the day. But, I made it special for my special friends. My friends in Ubud sent me so nice text messages how they missed me and liked to share me tons of love. It’s the thought that counts! I miss them.
I spent my V-Day morning packing a red Chinese-style bench I bought a couple days ago. Actually I am not so sure how I might pass this bench in checked-in baggage but I don’t want to worry about it now. Like often, I just don’t want to think about it. The packing took an hour. I made sure bubble sheets covered all surfaces and cushioned corners to avoid damage on the way. Anyway, I enjoyed busy morning.
My friend had get-together in the evening, I went dinner with my other friend. It’s nice to watch people celebrating the day with loved one(s). They dressed up! But really, I didn’t see lovey-dovey couples in the street. I guess all lovey-dovey messages have been sent through virtual world. Like A sends Purple Heart to B. I asked a cousin why she did that often with her ex boyfriend in Facebook, sending different colors of heart (it comes in purple, red, pink, that might have different meaning). She laughed it off by saying It’s just a picture. Again, it’s the thought that counts! So it’s good that nowadays people can also pass drinks virtually.
The euphoria of the day has diminished on Sunday morning. I need to do a couple of things. I bought 500 GB external hard drive that I need to run today. I also have to start packing for travel back tomorrow. Another phase passes.
I look forward to starting the next…
Five for the year, one for next year.