Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Manila is in pleasant weather…


…these months, my friend told me. We enjoyed walking in wide and clean curb in luxurious satellite city where my friend lives. We had late lunch then browsed a market nearby. It’s a really nice market with lots of stalls selling girlie stuffs: pearls, stones, gift wraps and boxes, home wares, and food from different provinces. I liked the idea of OTOP – One Town One Product – applied in the Philippines. I used to see the sign in Thailand but my friend said that Japan also has the same arrangement. Yea, global marketing has mixed everything up like Aboriginal drum but made in Bali.

I spent all morning finalizing jewelry business in Excel and tagging price on necklace creation. I decided to leave them all here and let my friend sells it. Funny that I’m kind of tired to see those creations of two years ago. I need not to see them so can create something else. And yes, my friend and I shopped necklace material quite a lot in the market. We already enjoyed the profit of our first sale. It’s fun!

Observing my friend’s spirit, I felt motivated to make necklace again. I think I need a new table special for necklace project. For one, I need to feel motivated at all time and one way to do it is not to kill the little flame inside by having everything ready at anytime. Such a simple idea I got unexpectedly. I have started considering options for permanent working table: what kind and where to put.

I closed the day with listening to my friend practicing presentation for history class she takes this season. It’s interesting! What a serious material for a serious girl. The Battle of Leyte Gulf. Another spark in me has been ignited. I need to commit to a course back in Bali. My Ubud friend and I had talked about something for us to do to improve ourselves. I have to kick it to happen when I get back.

I conclude my day with the reality that I need to be away from routine to see a new perspective about what I have been doing.

One town, one product, in the Philippines.