Saturday, November 22, 2008

Don’t Ask Don’t Tell


I often wonder how Balinese manage their daily life schedule. They must be present at any event in their, or related, banjar. And I, as an outsider, don’t always know what is happening in an area. There are times when I saw the whole family of every house in a neighborhood sitting outside wearing baju adat with white top waiting for something. Or, in one of my unlucky trips to Tegallalang, many shops were closed. Consulting Hindu calendar only is not enough because different banjar has different event calendar.

Anyway, I enjoy the unpredictable in my little village Ubud. That makes the place alive. Full of surprises. Like I was surprised how well my neighbor knew my routine. An Ibu tried to talk with me when I was in kitchen preparing smoothie. Ah. I jumped. It got me thinking, she must know what time I mop the floor, flush toilet, scrub bathroom floor, and have meal. The Balinese family lives just behind my wall. And I know their routine too. How often they had masak besar (with pig in pots), when the whole family get together chatting in their porch, or when father was not well.

No secret could be hid in Ubud. I giggled with my neighbor friend when we had lunch in a warung in Ubud main street. We waved in turn to our friends passing the street. They could just spot us! We could not have an affair in Ubud. My friend agreed. It’s better to let everything open, he said. It was a nice get together before we part again for weeks.

I went up Tegallalang in a very heavy rain. The water was high and the rain was so densed that it’s not easy to drive. My first time in the area in such weather. It’s so unpredictable. I was half wet got home. And when the sun out again before dark, I could not let it pass without enjoying.

I drove downtown trying to find mini entertainment in this small place. I checked out sweets in my favorite shop, second hand books, then had light early dinner in my favorite café. What a nice way to spend a Saturday night. I should do more often. Mingle with the community. Like flocks of people in white walking along the main street going to a ceremony, I spotted on the way home. How do they manage their time in this Saturday night?

Picture of Excuse Me, What Did You Say? by Dolo.