Monday, December 7, 2009

Lagi ngapain?


My cousin in Denpasar asked what I'm doing when he called to report about my car. Yes, my car underwent a thorough check-up after I faced trouble in Ubud the other day. My cousin has complained about the issue months ago but it never happened to me then. Not last week after the car spent five weeks in garage last month. Like I often said, put car in garage for a problem may lead to other problem. The new problem is the car doesn’t want to restart when the engine is hot. But then the garage also found other problems that need attention. So there… my car may need a two-night 'sleepover' in garage this week.

I want my car to be healthy and fit at all times. That’s when I tried to avoid buying second-hand car that I don’t know its history. This is Mama’s car that she had quite a serious accident before she passed away last year. We could also develop a problem later because of an accident in the past. So the items on the long to-do list made by the garage are partly from the accident. Not just because of my driving style (I don't have patience to drive slowly in rough terrain of Ubud).

I got up at 3:30 this morning. I awoke once to check where I was. With Ubud in mind, I’m in Malang and going to Jakarta, my body might have been confused its whereabouts. I just got up then. I had jet lag. Hardly one believed that I didn’t suffer from six-hour difference time zone but I believe I have jet lag when move from Bali time zone to Java’s. One-hour difference! I feel sleepy by 22:00 and get up no later than 4:00. Anyway, I had nice time chatting with two friends in Holland. It’s their time before sleep.

I’m spoiled here. Food wise. My nephew was kind to buy me melon as he knows I like to have lots of fruits. Yu Sih bought me papaya and picked mango from garden. I brought two mangoes from my fridge. So my fruit stock is abundant. And Yu Sih cook meal I like from late Mama’s memory. I don't remember I asked her to cook this-‘n-that but she just knew what I like to see on Mama’s table. It must have been Mama who had told Yu Sih in the past. Sautéed cauliflower and carrot. Fish floss. Pepes ikan (fish and sambal in banana leaf). Tim ayam (chicken broth). Urap (Javanese veg with coconut). On top of those, my nephew also bought me milk, white bread (not easy to find brown here), and chocolate bars I craved since morning. Great! But I don’t plan to extend my hips so I’m careful this trip.

I don’t do much today. But I learned. How to deal with mosquito inside and in the garden. How HIV spread in Asia (that suddenly I know well how transvestites deal with their clients). How digitalized cartoon looks like after joining my nephew watching the All New Garfield (it’s so different and unnatural, I love my old Mickey Mouse still). What's the difference between Oprah and Rachel Ray shows from my nephew who is very fond of food channels. And all that...

Think I have to go out to see my birth town tomorrow.

E-card I sent to my birthday friend today.